In this article you will find out what is Google Analytics, how it works, why should you use it and what are the benefits of Google Analytics. Google Analytics is a freemium web analytics service offered by Google that tracks and reports website traffic. Google launched the service in November 2005 after acquiring Urchin. Google Analytics is now the most widely used web analytics service on the Internet.
How does Google Analytics work
In addition to transmitting information to a Google server, the tracking code sets first party cookies (If cookies are enabled in the browser) on each visitor’s computer. These cookies store anonymous information such as whether the visitor has been to the site before (new or returning visitor), the timestamp of the current visit, and the referrer site or campaign that directed the visitor to the page (e.g., search engine, keywords, banner, or email).
If the visitor arrived at the site by clicking on a link tagged with Urchin Traffic Monitor (UTM) codes such as:
the tag values are passed to the database too.
Why we use Google Analytics and benefits
Knowing your audience and what they want is an important success factor for any website.
It shows you:
- Who visits your website – user’s geographical location, which browser did they use, what is their screen resolution, which language they speak, etc.
- What they do when they are on your website – you can see how long users stay on your website, what pages they are visiting the most, which page is causing the users to leave most often, how many pages an average user is viewing etc.
- When they visit your site – you can see which time of the day is the hottest for your website. This helps you pick the time to publish your posts. If that time zone is not compatible, then you can schedule your posts.
- Where did they arrive on your website from – you can see how the user found you. Whether it was through a search engine (Google, Bing, Yahoo etc), social networks (facebook, twitter etc), a link from another website, or a direct type-in. Google Analytics also shows you the breakdown of each traffic source, so you can focus on specific ones if you like.
- How users interact with your site’s content – You can see how many users clicked on a specific link.
- And much more.
If you are not completely sure how to use this Google service, please contact our CreativForm team and we will help you with that.
Benefits of Google Analytics
Find out what is Google Analytics, how it works, why should you use it and what are the benefits of Google Analytics.